Sunday, December 12, 2010

SHARING THE JOY: GUEST POST FROM RYAN AT WORDSMITHONIA


Please join me in welcoming my good friend and fellow book blogger, Ryan from Wordsmithonia.  Today, Ryan is sharing the music of Christmas.  Enjoy!

(Note:  I tried to embed the video of the song from YouTube, where possible.  Otherwise, Ryan has provided a link to the video on YouTube)

What is Christmas without the music?  How can you truly enjoy the season without getting to hear "Jingle Bells", "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer", or "Silent Night"?  There is something to be said for doing your Christmas shopping with songs of the season at full blast in your car or on your iPod.  What's wrapping presents or putting up your tree without Bing Crosby belting out "White Christmas" or Linda Eder singing "Do You Hear What I Hear?"  There is something about the music that lets you escape into a world filled with joy and laughter.  It transports you to that place you were as a kid, totally in love with everything Christmas.

What I really wanted to talk about though are some of my favorite songs that don't seem to get the radio play that they deserve.  They are all true classics, all by legendary singers, that deserve to be heard more often than they are.

One of the most moving songs, if sung right is "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and nobody sings it better than Judy Garland.  She brings such a depth of emotion to that song that you can almost physically feel the emotions that are overflowing from her.  I'm gong to admit right now that I've never seen the movies this is from but every time I hear her sing this, I am saddened that I've never seen "Meet Me In St. Louis"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4lY8Y3eoo

At first glance, you wouldn't think that "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" would have one of the most uplifting, get yourself back on your feet Christmas songs.  But "Hard Candy Christmas" as sang by Dolly Parton, makes you realize that no matter how bad things may be at the time that life will get better and that yes, you will get through it.  It's an emotional tribute to everyone who gets up every day, facing life as it comes. 


Whenever I hear Loreena Mckennitt sing "Good King Wenceslas", I imagine what it would have been like to hear the song when it was first written.  She has such a wonderful, old world quality to her voice that captivates me anytime I hear it, but I love it even more when she sings Christmas carols.
 



Some of you may know that one of my favorite movies of all time is "Auntie Mame" with the beautiful Rosalind Russell.  What you may not know is that I can't stand the musical version, especially the movie version with Lucille Ball and Bea Arthur.  What is better though is the stage version with Angela Lansbury as the title character.  Angela Lansbury has the better voice for it and when she sings "We Need A Little Christmas" you can feel the desire to have a great Christmas despite having lost all her money.  This is another song about making the most out of what you have and enjoying Christmas despite what you may not have.


The last song I'm going to mention is one that I've loved for as long as I can remember and it's by a woman who had one of the best voices ever.  Kay Starr is one of those singers that makes me happy to have ears to hear with.  There is something so unique about her sound that I can't help but be captivated every time I hear her.  One of my favorite songs of hers is "Everybodys Waiting For (The Man With The Bag".  I feel like a kid everytime I hear it.


Now I could have gone on and on because my love for this stuff is neverending, but I just wanted to share with you a few songs that you may not be as familiar with.  If you need more suggestions though, please let me know.  I still have songs by the likes of Julie London, Peggy Lee, Dean Martin, Nancy Wilson, and a host of others to talk about.

I hope you all have a wonderfully Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thank you so much, Ryan! What a great bunch of songs...some of my favorites as well.  You can visit Ryan at his Wordsmithonia book blog HERE.

3 comments:

  1. I apologize for the initial formatting of this post. That will teach me to preview the post before I publish it!

    Great post, Ryan! Thanks for sharing. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a couple of radio stations here that play nonstop Christmas music after Thanksgiving but never any of these. They just play the same ones over and over--wish they'd pull in these are more of the traditional songs.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. Blessed Be.