Thursday, December 23, 2010

SHARING THE JOY: GUEST POST FROM AUTHOR SHEILA ROBERTS

Please join me in welcoming author Sheila Roberts as she shares a lovely post about holiday trimmings and family traditions.

HOLIDAY TRIMMINGS

Christmas is, hands down, my favorite holiday. I love everything about it – the parties,
the symbolism of the Advent wreath, candlelight services, family gatherings, the goodies, the
carols, the decorations, the way every town and city dresses up in holiday lights and swags. Love
Christmas. Love, it, love it, love it!

And I start gearing up for the season Thanksgiving weekend, when I haul out the
decorations and set up the tree. (Yes, we have a fake tree. No worries about the needles drying
out and I get to enjoy it all month long.) I have some wonderful decorations, including some my
mother made way back in the fifties. One is a Santa face that makes me smile every time I look
at it. That Santa hung on a wall in our dining room every Christmas. Another is a red stocking
with a homemade doll and a candy cane peeking out the top. Embroidered on the stocking is the
name Tim. You know, as in Tiny Tim, “God bless us, everyone.” That Tim. For some reason no
one ever got that. Kids and adults alike would stare at it and ask, “Who’s Tim?” Clueless. Oh,
and then there are my little angels. Each holds a gold trimmed letter and when lined up they spell
Noel. Of course, every year when I’m not looking some joker rearranges them so they spell Leon
instead. Ha, ha. This is what comes of letting your children watch HOME IMPROVEMENT at
an impressionable age.

This year I put up Mom’s smiling Santa. Every time I look at him I remember my mother
and how special she made the holidays for our family. Our home was festive and filled with
warmth, laughter, music, and good smells. (My, oh, my, could my mother bake!)

I’ve tried to carry on the tradition of making home a special place at Christmas because
I think creating a warm and inviting atmosphere is one way we can celebrate the season and
keep our families close.  Unlike my character Joy in ON STRIKE FOR CHRISTMAS, I have
not gone on strike. As usual, I’ve done it all. And I’m pooped. So the day after Christmas I
will be flopped on the couch, recharging my batteries and watching reruns of WHAT NOT TO
WEAR. Meanwhile, though, I am in major holiday mode, finishing up with baking and wrapping
presents. The house looks great and everywhere I look I see things that bring a smile to my
face: the nativity set my mother-in-law made me years ago, my mom’s handcrafted decorations,
the framed poster for my all-time favorite movie, IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE, and my snow
globes. Everything has sentimental value, which makes it extra special. As I finish my final
preparations for the holidays, surrounded by mementos from Christmases past, I can’t help but
be grateful for all the special people in my life and the wonderful times we’ve had together and
look forward to future celebrations equally as wonderful.

We all have favorite decorations. I hope whatever you’ve put out is triggering happy
memories and sending you into the holidays with a smile.

Sheila Roberts lives on a lake in the Pacific Northwest. She’s happily married and has three children. Her books have been best-sellers, Amazon top ten romance picks, and have been optioned for film. When she’s not speaking to women’s groups or at conferences she can be found writing about those things near and dear to women’s hearts: family, friends, and chocolate. (bio from Goodreads)

Sheila's newest novel, The Snow Globe, was released in October 2010.  Visit Sheila at her website, http://www.sheilasplace.com/ 


Thank you, Sheila, for sharing with us today!

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post! Thank you.

    I just read 'The Snow Globe' earlier in the month and loved it. I will definitely be reading more by Sheila Roberts.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. Blessed Be.