Saturday, July 7, 2012

Christmas in July--Weekend Crafting


I've decided to make the weekends of my Christmas events not only about crafting, but also something else working people like to do on the weekends...read (well, that's what I like to do).  =O)  So Saturdays will be Weekend Crafting...that way you'll have two days to work on the project, if you choose to do so, and Sundays will be Weekend Lit...dedicated to some type of Christmas literature. Stay tuned after the craft to read a little about what I will be sharing with you on Sunday.  Now, on with the craft.  Please forgive the images.  I had to take pictures since I couldn't find them online.

This craft is from this lovely book I picked up at my kids' school when they did Bingo for Books.  It's a great book and I got it for free!



The Kissing Ball is an old English tradition.  It was used to decoratively incorporate mistletoe.  For many centuries in England, the kissing ball was the center of Christmas in the home.  To read more about the lore behind Mistletoe, check the right sidebar.


How to Make a Kissing Ball


Materials:

  • Artificial mistletoe, holly, or ivy greens; red berries; edelweiss flowers; or other plants and foliage
  • Floral wire
  • Wire cutters
  • Floral tape
  • Scissors
  • 4 yards ribbon (1/4" - 1/2" wide)
  • 1 wood embroidery hoop (7" - 10" dia, 2 pieces)

1.  Assemble all the tools and materials you'll need.  Separate greens into individual pieces and, if necessary, lengthen stems with floral wire covered with floral tape.


2.  Cut off 1 1/2 yards of ribbon and, allowing 6 inches to 12 inches for trailing ends, wind it tightly around the smaller of the two embroidery hoops.


3.  When the hoop is completely covered, securely tie both ends and allow them to trail.  Wind and tie ribbon around the larger hoop in the same manner, making sure the tightening screw is left uncovered.


4.  Insert smaller hoop inside larger hoop, rotating and centering them to form a sphere.  When you are satisfied with the shape, tighten screw in larger hoop.  Wrap points where hoops intersect with floral wire to secure in place.


5.  Bend stems or wire-lengthened stems of artificial mistletoe into long hooks.  Repeat with other greens and flower stems, varying length of each sprig and making sure that mistletoe sprig is the longest.


6.  Attach greenery to sphere by hooking bent stems around hoops.  Secure with floral wire.  Start with longer sprig, layer the rest placing shortest sprigs closest to the hoops.


7.  Finish Kissing Ball by filling in sphere with additional sprigs of mistletoe and clusters of red berries and leaves, adjusted to cover exposed joints and wires.  Attach a small cluster at top joint, adding a length of ribbon or nylon filament to use as a hanger.  Tie on extra lengths of trailing ribbon, if desired.

I hope you like the craft! I will be sharing more from this book all month.  Coming up next week in Weekend Crafting...Sheet Music Ornaments!

Coming up tomorrow on Weekend Lit, I will continue the next chapter from Christmas in Ritual and Tradition, Christian and Pagan by Clement A. Miles.  
Read previous chapters:  Chapter I | Chapter II | Chapter III | Chapter IV


Always in spirit....



2 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    What a great craft idea! I love the thought of a Christmas Kissing Ball!
    I am looking forward to the sheet music ornaments next week. I adore anything made with sheet music!
    and I can't wait to hear about this interesting book tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to do a post in the middle of the week showcasing the blogs that are participating in Christmas in July. So I am asking for permission to show a picture from something you posted for the celebration with a link back to your blog.Will that me okay?
    Let me know..

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. Blessed Be.