Monday, July 30, 2012

Christmas in July: Ryan's Favorite Christmas Cards


I'd like to welcome my good friend, Ryan from Wordsmithonia, to the blog today.  He is sharing with us his favorite Christmas cards!

***************

I'm sure Michelle can tell you that I'm a Christmas freak. Actually, I'm pretty sure anyone that knows me can tell you the same thing. I have to be a Christmas fanatic to listen to Christmas music in the middle of summer. Of course, I only do it when it's really hot outside and I need something to take my mind off the heat. If you don't believe that it works, try it. Close your blinds/curtains and put on some of your favorite Christmas music. You will be cool in no time.

Because I'm such a Christmas fanatic, it's hard to single out a favorite aspect to write a post about. But don't worry, I have something in mind. I thought about listing some of my favorite songs, but I already did that for Michelle before. Then I thought of doing a movie, but I did that the first year Michelle started this blog, which by the way, isn't she awesome for doing! What I decided upon was to touch on something that I look forward to every Christmas. I'm talking about Christmas cards. I love sending them out to my friends and family, and I love getting them in the mail. They are the reason I rush to the mailbox everyday during the Christmas season.

Every year, for at least 10 yeas, some of my favorite cards to send out have featured some wonderful illustrations from Edward Gorey. Yes, that Edward Gorey. The guy behind The Gashlycrumb Tinies, the wonderful opening for PBS Mystery!, and some of the most "Gothic" inspired, playful illustrations ever. You would think that his work wouldn't make great Christmas cards, but that is where you would be wrong. Now Granted, some of them are a bit darker in tone than the standard Christmas fare you find in boxes of 50-100 at Wal-Mart.

If I remember right I found my very first box of his cards at a Borders, actually I think that is where I bought all my Edward Gorey cards from. It was right after Christmas and I found a box on the clearance table. I knew, just from looking at the picture on the box, who's work it was. Gorey has such a distinctive style, you can't mistake him for anyone else. That first card was "Christmas Dragon and Friend." I think it's still my favorite of all the cards I've sent out. Now I'm sure that Michelle doesn't want me to show every single Edward Gorey Christmas card I've ever used, so I'll show you a few of my favorites instead.





Just in case you're curious, I do send other cards every year as well. I know some of my older relatives do not want to have a Christmas card of someone decorating a tombstone. Sometimes those cards are more traditional, featuring a snow covered church in a birch forest. Others are a bit more artsy, Japanese wood blocks. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do this year though. With Borders closed, I'm not sure where I'm going to be able to find the Edward Gorey cards. I have seen them at Barnes & Noble, but they tend to be cards I've already used. So we will see, this may be the first Christmas in a very long time that didn't include Edward Gorey in the festivities. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to know what that feels like.

*************

I hope Ryan is able to find the cards he loves.  *fingers crossed*

Always in spirit....

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me. I guess I just love showing off my quirky taste sometimes. Merry Christmas in July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm sure the people who receive those cards will be looking for them. Maybe you can find them online somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I really really hope I can find them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these cards! Of course, I tend to love most of Gorey's art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, They are wonderful. I have used quite a few more over the years, but I didn't want to submerge Michelle with too many pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. Blessed Be.