Thursday, December 1, 2011

Keeping the Spirit All Through the Year


We often wonder why the Christmas spirit doesn't last throughout the year, but do we ever stop and ask ourselves why it doesn't.  Perhaps if we took a page from Scrooge's book...

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year...Scrooge, A Christmas Carol--Charles Dickens

Not saying that we are all as unkind and miserly as Scrooge was, but perhaps we should be visited by our own three ghosts to help remind us that Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward Man is something that should be our focus every day of the year.  Of course, we are all also not as rich as Scrooge, but it doesn't have to be all about the monetary contributions, although even a little amount given means something to any charity, in my opinion.  What we can do are little things that may not seem like much in the grand scheme of things, but when added together, they make a large sum of goodness indeed.  I'm talking about speaking a kind word to another, even when we're having a bad day.  Let that person with only a few items go ahead of us in the line.  Let a car, or two, or three in, when there is a traffic jam.  Do something nice for someone just because.  Take the time to hug our kids or our significant other or even our pet(s) every day.  I know it seems like we already do this one every day, but it's surprising when we're paying attention, how much we realize we're not doing.  If we live far away from loved ones, or even if we don't, take the time more often to call our moms and dads, brothers and sisters, or our kids.  There are a myriad of things like this we can do that don't seem like much alone, but add them up and they really amount to a lot.  Kindness can really make a difference.  Just think, if every person in the world made more of an effort to be kind every day, the world just might be a better place.  I honestly believe this.

Christmas is forever, not for just one day,
for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away
like bells and lights and tinsel, in some box upon a shelf. 

The good you do for others is good you do yourself.
~Norman W. Brooks

Somehow not only for Christmas
But all the long year through,
The joy that you give to others
Is the joy that comes back to you.

And the more you spend in blessing
The poor and lonely and sad,
The more of your heart's possessing
Returns to make you glad.
~John Greenleaf Whittier

Thank you for joining me for Sharing the Joy this year.  I hope you enjoy everything I have in store for you this season.  Glad tidings to you and yours and may your days be merry and bright, at Christmas and all through the year.

Always in spirit....

7 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    I came across your blog through goodreads, and I really love it! Especially the header, it's so beautiful.
    You're right of course about doing the little things, and it's so easy to do that around Christmas but it's trying to keep 'Christmas in your heart all year' that's harder. But I love A Christmas Carol and I love Scrooge even more and that's a lot of inspiration right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, Lady Disdain! And for the compliments. It's actually a new header I just designed this year. I'm pretty happy with it, as it depicts some of my favorite things. Christmas, of course, and cats, children, books, and dolls (I collect porcelain dolls, along with books). =O)

    I'm glad you enjoyed the post. It was definitely from the heart. And we could all learn a lot from Mr. Ebenezer Scrooge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michelle
    As always I enjoy reading your blogs. This one is so pretty!! It sure would be awesome if the world would be kind. May you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it hard to keep the Christmas spirit, especially when I don't have the stuff that goes along with Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you get the like box onto your blog? I can't, but I would like to have one there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got it working; seems everything is fine (and I am getting likes). Have a pleasant evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this post kiddo! I had to let in sink in, go read others before I came back to leave a comment. I'm so excited for this year.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. Blessed Be.