Sunday, July 3, 2011

CHRISTMAS IN JULY 2011: FA LA LA LA FELT CUTE CRAFT PROJECT

Since we have a long weekend due to the 4th of July holiday, maybe you'll have time for this fun craft project.  Even if you don't, you can come back any time and make it later.  The craft is from the book, Fa la la la Felt: 45 Handmade Holiday Decorations by Amanda Carestio.  I received this book from my monthly subscription with BOMC2 and I love it.  There are so many crafts I can't wait to try!

Note:  I will not post on Monday due to the holiday.  Have a safe and happy Independence day!



Mini Stockings


What you need:

  • Basic sewing kit
  • Templates (curly toed elf boot template HERE  Regular stocking template HERE--these are a little different then the pictures in the book, but they will work. Adjust sizes accordingly)
  • Assorted felt sheets and scraps
  • Assorted shape punches and wavy rulers
  • Fabric pen
  • Various colors of embroidery floss
  • Hole punch
  • Narrow black ribbon
What you do:
  1. Cut six mini stockings shapes using the template, three in black (for the backs) and three in various colors.  Cut one heel and toe for each stocking from contrasting colored felt.
  2. Cut out your various design elements.  Use a wavy ruler and a fabric pen to draw and cut out some felt strips for the top border pieces.  Cut strips of felt into diamond shapes or tiny squares to make a checkerboard.  Cut out a variety of leaf and flower shapes.
  3. Position your elements onto each stocking front.  Sew the elements down with various embroidery stitches:  lazy daisy, running stitch, backstitch, double-threaded running stitch, and French knots. (If you're not familiar with embroidery stitches, like me, go HERE for instruction on the stitches mentioned)
  4. Sew a running stitch from each toe to heel piece in a contrasting color of floss.
  5. Position the ornament front on top of the black back piece.  Blanket-stitch the front to the back with black floss leaving the top open.
  6. Punch a hole near the top for your ribbon hanger.  Feed the ribbon through the hole, and loop it back over itself.
The images of the stockings with the book are from The Daily Pincushion, an Etsy shop.  The mini stockings in the images are ones the shop owner made.

Fa La La La Felt by Amanda Carestio
publisher:  Lark Books, a division of Sterling Publishing
New York, NY


5 comments:

  1. I have this book and I love it! So many cute ideas! Looking forward to some of them this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posts like this make me wish I was a little better at crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Christmas fanatic too -so much so that I've written a novel for middle graders called The Christmas Village, which will be out later this year. I think we're a good fit! Your craft project is just the kind of thing I've loved to do. Stop by and visit me, and I look foward to more of your Christmas spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cute! And actually doable, I think, although my French knots never seem to work.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. Blessed Be.