Monday, October 25, 2021

Rudolph Day - Our yearly tradition with Ken from the Sounds of Christmas - New holiday music for 2021



Thanks so much for once again inviting me back to your blog, Michelle!

As usual, I am very excited about the upcoming season for the Sounds of Christmas (which starts on November 1st...next Monday)!

We’re actually already on, playing Halloween music through the end of this month. For the last fourteen Christmas seasons, I’ve played a huge variety of Christmas music, and I’ve worked hard to play thousands of songs, without repeating the same song and the same artist. This way, you won’t hear “Sleigh Ride” twice an hour, and you won’t hear Johnny Mathis over and over.

I have just always felt that there’s so much good Christmas music out there, and more and more coming every year, there’s no reason to play Bing’s “White Christmas” every other hour.

I’m doing the same kind of thing with Halloween music, spreading out different versions of “(Ghost) Riders In The Sky” and others, as well as separating out the songs by the same artists. You won’t hear “Ghostbusters” over and over (and I have multiple versions of that in rotation, from all three of the different movies – there doesn’t seem to be a new one from the forthcoming movie, at least not, yet).

By the way, if there’s a spooky song you’d like to hear, you can certainly let me know and I’ll do my best to play it for you!

So, what’s new in Christmas music this season?

Once again, there is a lot of terrific new music this year, much of which is already out! I’m sure I won’t be able to get to all of it in this blog, and there are always surprise releases that show up as the season gets going!

First, there are previous releases that are being re-released with extra songs.


Carrie Underwood kicked off this trend this season, with a a deluxe version of her Christmas album from last year, “My Gift”, coming out with a few extra songs back in September. Shaggy, Brynn Stanley and Straight No Chaser did the same thing in October (the latter giving us a new version of “Celebrate Me Home” with a guest appearance by Kenny Loggins). Still to come are deluxe editions from For King & Country, Meghan Trainor, Karla Bonoff, Ingrid Michaelson, Michael BublĂ©, She & Him, Billy Idol and Blackmore’s Night.


Meanwhile, stuff that’s “all-new” has been trickling out for the last couple of months!


Kirk Whalum and Chris Tomlin both had new Christmas releases in September. And there’s been quite a slew of new stuff that’s already come out in October, including Margaret Dorn, Kimberley Locke, Darren Criss, Orleans, Kelly Clarkson, Norah Jones, Steve Wariner, Jim Brickman, Kristin Chenoweth, Brett Eldredge, the Pistol Annies, Rob Thomas, Zach Williams, Celtic Thunder and Brett Young. Seriously, there’s something for everyone!



And there’s still plenty to come!


There’s new Christmas music on the way from Pentatonix, Point Of Grace, Mitchell Tenpenny, Matthew West, Steve Perry, Skip Ewing, Lucas Hoge, Sarah Reeves, Eagles of Death Metal, Paul Kelly, Lucinda Williams, Norine Braun, the Puppini Sisters and Debbie Gibson!


A couple other things worth noting, especially for fans, is that Mariah Carey has an EP coming out with five or six different mixes of “Joy To The World”. And Abba has a new album due in November, and that will include an original Christmas song called “Little Things”.

One of the releases that was expected to be one of the big ones for this season has been pushed back a year. The Backstreet Boys have a Christmas album in the works, but they say it won’t be ready until next year.

Michelle, who runs this website, is going to be a guest on an upcoming episode of the Sounds of Christmas podcast, and we’ll go a little deeper into some of these releases..

I am sure I’ve missed some, and I apologize if I skipped one of your favorites. Hundreds of new releases come across my desk (and into my email) every year, and I try to get to as many as I can. Unfortunately, every year, I come across truly wonderful songs that I don’t actually discover until January.

Plus, there are always surprises. Usually, these are surprise singles, or even Eps. Every once in a while, there’s a surprise Christmas album, but that’s pretty rare.

The Sounds of Christmas shifts to Christmas music on November 1. I know not everyone is ready for it that early, but we’re here for those who are. And we’ll be here, playing all your favorites alongside the tunes I mentioned here, whenever you are ready for Christmas music!

Hope you’re able to spend at least some of your holiday season with us!

And may you always believe in Santa Claus!

Ken

http://www.SoundsofChristmas.com

A big thank you to Ken for keeping up this Christmas tradition with us here at Christmas Spirit. Be sure to tune in to Sounds of Christmas on November 1st, and all season long. I have a link to the Sounds of Christmas in the right sidebar so you can listen while you're online. Look for the Sounds of Christmas Christmas tree, click the image and you'll be taken to the site where you can listen. Also, Sounds of Christmas has an app on Google Play so you can listen on the go...and it's free! You can find it in the Play Store here.

I love Pentatonix so I'm looking forward to their new one. That cover is amazing. I also have my eye on the Steve Perry and Norah Jones albums. Some exciting releases from some great artists this year. 

As Ken mentioned above, I will be a guest on his podcast. I will let you know the air date. I'm excited, but admittedly, a little nervous.


Always in spirit...



Get new posts by email:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome and appreciated. Blessed Be.